Monday, November 29, 2010

SADIE LEE GRAHAM

This is Sadie.  She's a yellow lab who made her home with Doug, Aimee, Stephen and Hannah for 12 1/2 years.  She is the most gentle lab I ever met.  When Stephen and Hannah were toddlers she let them pull her ears and crawl all over her.  Like I said, she was gentle.  She always had compassion in her eyes and was a source of great comfort on a hard day.  When I would drive to Bryant to see the Grahams, I couldn't sneak in to their house.  I tried!  But no matter how quiet I was she would hear me and would be standing wagging her tail right at the back door.  When dinner is served at the Graham house I always sit in the chair at the head of the table.  It's sorta my seat there.  Sadie always came and rested her head in my lap - the entire dinner.  She wasn't really supposed to eat table food but she knew that I would sometimes sneak her a nibble so she stood quietly and waited.  Oh now Aimee knew what was going on.  She watched this little routine play out over many years.  I would give her a bite and then put my hand on her head while I ate.  When dinner was finished she was satisfied and would go play with the kids.  Literally.  She wasn't going to be left out of anything.  If they were in the back yard she was too!  Right there ON the play gym!  If they stormed upstairs you could hear her feet pounding right behind them.  Sadie was somethin' special.  She was found as a puppy on Aimee's dad's farm where she had been dumped.  When Aimee saw her she took her right home.  She was always given a new collar each Christmas and big bones were kept by the back door so anyone who came in could offer her one.  When Doug got sick and needed surgery, it was Sadie that comforted them both.  She was there for Aimee during those long uncertain days when Doug was so ill for Aimee to love and for Sadie to love Aimee back.  Isn't that typical of our dogs?  Not long after that a lump was found on her side.  The doctor said is was cancer.  He removed it and we tried to forget about it as best as we could.  It was years later when it rared it's ugly head again this time taking up residence in her tummy.  She lost weight.  She had seizures.  And then she was gone.  Just a memory.  But a good one.  One that we'll all cherish.  It's so worth it - even the pain.  Thanks Sadie for the love you gave.  Sadie died three weeks ago on a Sunday morning.  It was October 31st.

Staci

Sadie
Breed:  Yellow Lab
Favorite Toy:  Plastic ball
Activities:  Fetch and plays in the backyard with the kids
Slumber Zone:   Sleeps on a blankie on the couch or by it

Up next:  Bentley Rew and his escapes in the kitchen!

No comments:

Post a Comment